Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Library Database Research Comparison

I found the LCC database less helpful in pursuing information for my essay topic. I found two articles to be somewhat useful, but not entirely akin to the kind of information I was looking for. I refined my search several times with different wording and came upon many of the same articles, which, were not necessarily what I was looking for in terms of what I am going to write about for this Essay. I think the library database may become more adept as I become more familiar with how to use it. The instructional video provided for how to use it was very easy to understand, though my search provided few results in what I was looking for. The advantages for using this system provide for publications not often found through a simple Google internet search and provide opportunities for well respected published papers such as the ones I will list following this paragraph. The first article I found was helpful in terms of good quotes from real life experiences from goat owners. The first one describes a study in Kenya in which goat ownership as pets and/or livestock were observed and the psychological effects on children after having this experience and responsibility. Overall the LCC database was certainty helpful for short, concise publications on my topic, but I was unable to find any articles with more than a page to them.

1.) Author: Julia McKinnell
      Source: Maclean's. 9/19/2011, Vol. 124 Issue 36, p75-75. 1p. 1 Color Photograph.
     Title: The things you learn at goat school!

 http://0-ehis.ebscohost.com.library.lanecc.edu/ehost/detail?sid=50d5f695-566e-4f8f-8171-46f99ca6f2db%40sessionmgr110&vid=1&hid=106&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#db=aph&AN=63603579


2.) Author: Windsor, Robyn Elizabeth and Skovdal, Morten
     Source:  Journal of Community & Applied Social Psychology. Sep/Oct2011, Vol. 21 Issue 5, p433-450. 18p. 3 Color Photographs, 1 Diagram, 2 Charts.
     Title: Agency, Resilience and Coping: Exploring the psychological aspects of goat ownership on orphaned and vulnerable children in Western Kenya 




http://0-ehis.ebscohost.com.library.lanecc.edu/ehost/detail?sid=649f2e8f-eeaf-4532-8194-5e593cad63fc%40sessionmgr115&vid=1&hid=106&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#db=aph&AN=66360754





No comments:

Post a Comment